Saturday, December 10, 2011

We Started Together and Finished Together


I was the last person to stop painting the mural, finishing the old-school type writer (above). While everyone cleaned up, I rushed to finally be done. It was a long successful day and when I put the last number on one of the keys, I was so overwhelmed with happiness. It was complete. Well, except for a few minor things here and there. All I could think was it's beautiful.

But here I am now, one of the last people to write on this blog! I realized with this class, everything we do is a team effort. It wasn't just a one-person thing, we started together and finished together.

What I took away from this incredible experience was finding that art is what I what to do with my life. I've always known, but it wasn't really an option in a small town in the Upper Peninsula. When people asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I replied, "I know what I don't want to be." I could never be a doctor, mathematician, or lawyer. Art always allowed me to do something different, something exciting and new. This class allowed me to create the tools I need to be able to do what I love. I can see the world around me so differently now. Everything seems more interesting and beautiful in it's own way. This class also taught me to push myself, and that everyday might not be easy. While painting the six-foot baby head I wanted to quit! I was so frustrated. The colors weren't blending the way I wanted them to and I felt like I was repainting everything over and over. It scared me that it wasn't going to turn out, but five hours later it was breath taking. It was worth everything. I know the work I have done on the mural will definitely help my portfolio when applying in February to the School of Art and Design here at the University of Michigan. I'm excited for everything now, and I can thank the friends who were there putting their time and love in too.

- Tashina Emery

No comments:

Post a Comment