Friday, December 9, 2011

Free Spirit UNLEASHED!

It's truly amazing...I can't believe that almost three months ago I was sitting in class and drawing that dreadful upside down man. Or even before that, I had to draw a self portrait of myself. It wasn't the best idea to do it five minutes before I had to catch the Commuter South bus--you live and learn. But of course I had to learn the hard way with Mark teasing me about the picture. I guess that was okay because I learned that when you do something, it's either ALL or NOTHING. And from experience, I can honestly say that since being in this class, I had tried to put my everything into this masterpiece. My blood is literally in this painting, my tears of the stress from the week as well as getting the perfect color, and finally sweat--sweating over how long I have before Mark sees the mysterious small footprint that I'm trying to cover up/dab out.

 On a more serious note, I'm glad that I took this class and didn't run for the hills when I found out we had to paint a huge mural and that people outside of class will get to see it in such a short time. I remember when the thought quickly ran through my mind, there is no way that this is going to happen, but it did, and I'm so happy that I got to see it being born. This class has really let my--I mean, our -- free creative spirits be unleashed. Our hearts and souls leaped from our chest and onto the canvas, in a massive explosion of colors--our free spirits nesting on a blank canvas and then coming together to form a masterpiece.

Today, December 9, 2011, is the last day of the mural and Mark talked about art and what it means to be visually illiterate. I found it funny that I was agreeing with everything he was saying because one, this is one of those things that Mark is completely right on about, and two, because I am someone who even before taking this lovely art class, has always seen the beauty in things that others are too blind to see and it's hard to explain sometimes why I can see the beauty to a person who cannot. Mark did a great job explaining that to the crew. I'm sad that this is the LAST class, I really love art and have a huge passion for it--I get inspired to create something every second of the hour. Saying goodbye to this class and this mural will be one of the hardest things I have ever done. I am never really satisfied with anything I produce, but I can say that this may be the first time that I am. So much of our time, effort, blood, sweat, and tears have been mixed into this painting. We all should be happy, proud, and overwhelmed with emotion because WE created something so beautiful and so meaningful to us-- not everyone can say that, and not everyone can say they have an "eye" for art, if they can't see the beauty in everything in life.

Free Spirit Motto: Love, live, learn, and create.


--Armenthia Mimee Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment