Friday, December 9, 2011

Heart & Soul

Well, we did it. I almost can't believe it, but WE DID IT. Honestly, I'm still on a bit of high from it all. I felt like a little kid, so excited and happy that I couldn't wipe that silly grin off my face if I tried. Seven and a half hours in the studio and our class culminates with a final brush stroke on the canvas.

 During this rather long time at the studio, we took a pizza break and talked about what this class has been and what the mural means to us. Something Mark said stuck with me, and I totally agree with him. He said you can tell by looking at the mural that the artists put their hearts and souls into its creation, that you can tell that it wasn't a mere recreation of randomly found images, but purposefully chosen ones that were painted with creativity stemming from both our minds and hearts. I totally believe in this statement. I truly do. I feel like we really worked together and had a passion for what we were doing, and that passion shone through in our work.

I'm going to miss this class, it has taught me so much. I've met new people that I've enjoyed getting to know. I've learned that there is more than one way to do things well, even if I thought my way was best. I've found that you can do anything you set your mind to. And most of all, I've come to realize that the sum really is greater than its parts. Less and less often I see the individual images that each of us painted, and more and more I see how they fit together like one beautiful puzzle-- so much more glorious together than they would ever be on their own.

Thanks to Mark for being such a great teacher and for trying so hard to defeat my inner critic.  It's been a blast and I won't forget it.

~ Simi

No comments:

Post a Comment